Friday 19 October 2012

How it all started

  I recently had the good fortune to buy a Matt Layden designed Enigma 360 in an unfinished but never the less beautiful state.  I will attempt to detail my thoughts and efforts as I try to do justice to both the design and the hard work and talent of the initial builder.  This is a rare craft as only two have been built to plans with some Enigma inspired boats having been crafted by eye and intuition.  The original builder is an absolute gentleman, friend and neighbour to Matt, as well as being a professional boat builder.  Unfortunately he suffered some health issues and could not continue with the build.  After a week of trying to convince myself not to think about the boat and the drive from Ontario Canada down to Fort Pierce Florida, some 2400 km and back, I phoned the builder and had several conversations before we agreed to all the details of the transfer.  My 14 year old son and I would drive a small trailer down and pick up the boat with a 5 day window to get back.  We left without a firm commitment from Canada customs that they would let the unregistered, un-plated, home built boat into the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment